Theosophy News Worldwide 3rd Quarter 2020
Dear friends of Theosophy,
I'm proud to present the all new Theosophy World Newsletter, hosted on its own domain Theosophy.News!
But it's not just that: I've revised the newsletter and upgraded it, f.e. the integration of social media posts (Facebook, Twitter) and videos (YouTube) and I also set up a comment section (remains open until the next issue) at the bottom of the newsletter, but see all this and more for yourself. Within the Topic of the quarter I share with you some technical background if this relaunch-process. What remains is the uniqueness of this project within the movement and the indispensability of reading it, if you want to be quickly informed about what happened in the last quarter regarding Theosophy.
And it was a really moving quarter. I saw large and serious efforts to spread Theosophical teachings, such as the founding of a Virtual Centre for Theosophical Studies or the opening of the Salon of Theosophy, alongside more virtual theosophical events than ever before, f.e. the International Theosophy Conference (ITC). I saw Theosophy mentioned positive f.e. in the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times in regards to Agnes Pelton, but also in an awful way, f.e. with effort to connect Theosophy to the "Far Right" and "QAnon"-Conspiracy-Theorists. Also the evil lie, that "Many [significant] Nazis were influenced by variants of Theosophy" is still and again and again trumpeted out into the world, unchallenged.
And last but not least, there was again a lot of theosophical content published, in magazines or various blogs. You can figure out all this and much, much more in this 27th issue of Theosophy World News Newsletter, even if it is not a complete reproduction of all new theosophical content in all languages and all media - it is a great help and time saver.
The question of the last issue to the readers, if TS Adyar in North-America (TSA) should help the people and not vice versa, was answered 80:20 with a clear yes.
And now I wish you an interesting reading and a peaceful autumn.
With kind regards from Germany
Editor of Theosophy World News
PS: Never miss an issue again! Subscribe to this newsletters mailing-list, free of charge, here »
PPS: Please help to promote this non-commercial project by sharing it with friends or in social-media or linking to it on your website, thanks for your support!
Topic of the quarter
How to: Open Source Website with Newsletter
It may be a bit off-topic, but I would like to share with you some experiences of how I work, based on the technical background of this newsletter.
First you need of course a domain for a website and a webhoster, which I presuppose. Something else I presuppose is, I almost only rely on software that
- is open source and thus in the public domain or free of charge, whose source code is open and can be further developed by the user or is developed by a community as usual and which can be hosted by the user himself, i.e. you can download the software and install it on your own webserver (or in your webspace at your webhoster)
Like everything else, it has advantages and disadvantages, but I love this independence and the idea behind, open source is lived idealism.
I have installed a current Ubuntu operating system in a virtual machine (e.g. Virtualbox, not Open Source but free of charge), and a web server (LAMP) and some additional software, f.e. Geany, in it, so that I can develop the pages locally and then move them to the web server. Virtual machines have the advantage that it is portable and easy to backup. If I have a new computer, I simply copy my virtual machine and continue working, but state of the art is today containers, e.g. dockers.
I am a Drupalist, so I use the Web-CMS Drupal as a basis for my web pages. Drupal is one of the most used CMS with the largest community. Even if the beginner has a hard time at first, it is worth it, because the modular system offers everything your heart desires. I work with Drupal 9, it is advisable to work with Composer and Drush, which must be installed in the virtual machine to work with it.
I use Matomo, an analysis software that collects anonymous data, e.g. how many people visit the site etc. This software is also installed on my web server and can be used for many pages. You integrate a code from Matomo into your website and everything is measured. For privacy reasons it is very good to get along without Google. But for this you need some technical understanding, but for all this there are also many instructions on the net.
Here I use Mautic in the same way as the Analytics system. It is a complete direct marketing suite. You can send e-mails, even use marketing automation, your own templates, with user management, there are statistics about the read rate, everything you need for a newsletter. I have a campaign that allows double opt-in and even tricks the spambots.
And isn't it wonderful what is possible today without costs (except domain, webhoster and internet connection) with a little technical understanding (although I have to admit here that I studied computer science in media) and some ambition (and time of course :)?
I hope this little overview helps some of you. If you have questions, use the comment function.
TS (Adyar) in Australia
publisher, September 2020 (pdf)
The TS (Pasadena) Australasian Section
publisher, September 2020 (pdf)
The Aquarian Theosophist
United Lodge of Theosophists (ULT)
The TS Adyar Indian Section
News from Theosophical Societies
TS Adyar Australia published Letters to the members now digital, see here A Series of 22 letters from the National President. See also there, some so called Testimonials,Theosophists speak about Theosophy and the Theosophical Society and also the Theosophy in Australia Quarterly was published.
The TS (Pasadena) Australasian Section published it'S latest Theosophy Downunder-Issue.
On the site of the TS Adyar Indian Section you can find the Bombay Theosophical Federation Bulletin August 2020 (f.e. with a short Info about the founding of the Virtual Centre for Theosophical Studies) and September 2020-Issue and also the Indian Theosophist Magazine with it's July, August and September-Issue.
TS Adyar HQ in Chennai celebrated Dr. Annie Besant's Birthday and you can watch the Celebration on YouTube, because it was Live-streamed. It also published The Theosophist September and the the August-Issue, the latest Adyar Newsletter (ANL) and there was also a digital birthday-celebtration for HPB, but it's not online.
TS (Adyar) in (North-) America published some articles from the latest Quest Magazine. It also published many videos, f.e. Tim Boyd - Next Steps: The Ageless Wisdom in Shifting, The Opening of the 134th Summer National Convention of the Theosophical Society in America or Barbara Hebert - The President's Blog: September, see much more on its YT Channel.
TS Adyar England relaunched it's website.
“The Voice of the Silence” audio book was published on the ULT England-Website.
The “Wisdom religion” is the inheritance of all the nations, the world over.
Articles from Theosophical sites
- Sevenfoldness in Mathematics
- Lithopanspermia : Interplanetary Transmission of Life
- Anaximene : The Principle of the World
- Practical Philosophy of Education
David Reigle Blog
- Ongoing glossary of terms relating to the Book of Dzyan: mūla-prakṛti
- Ongoing glossary of terms relating to the Book of Dzyan: para-brahman
Theos-talk has reincarnated at groups.io is now called Theosophy@groups.io You can join email@example.com (the successor group) and carry on discussions there. Anyone can join by sending a msg to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- FINANCIAL DETAILS OF THEOSOPHICAL ORGANIZATIONS IN USA
- GREAT NEWS FOR AMERICAN SECTION --- MONEY MONEY MONEY
- A LOOK AT DECLINING THEOSOPHISTS IN USA
- MUNIFICENCE OF CLEVELAND LODGE AND LACK OF DIVERSITY
- INSPIRATION FROM KROTONA – A VIEW
- Leaving for now
- IMPORTANCE OF INFORMED DECISION IN ELECTIONS
- Theosophists in USA - Need for action to expand diversity
- Now You can Donate to Adyar from outside India
- Lack of Diversity in Theosophical Society - A Comment
- Theosophy seen as a Cult in USA???
- Theosophical project
Montreal Theosophy Project
- Theosophy and the Trikaya 3 (Nirmanakaya, Sambhogakaya, Dharmakaya)
- Divine Heartache – Practical Advaita Vedanta 1/ 3
- Divine Heartache 2/3 - Practical Advaita Vedanta
- Divine Heartache 3/3 - Practical Advaita Vedanta
- Theosophy and the Trikaya 4 (Nirmanakaya, Sambhogakaya, Dharmakaya)
- Walt Whitman on Universal Brotherhood
- Patanjali's Yoga Sutras - Book 1 - Rama Prasad
- Book Review: Zanoni - Sir Edward Bulwer Lytton
- Astrology: Fall Equinox - September 22, 2020
- Some Hints on Theosophical Parenting and Child Education
- Esoteric Astrology: “Our Destiny is Written in the Stars”
- A Living Web of Life: The Body Electric
- The Force of Love: Making a Difference in the World
- Theosophy vs The Dogmas of Modern Sciencel
- Choosing the Mind We Want: Beauty or the Beast
- The Mysterious Force Ruling Man and Nature
- LIFE: The Greatest Problem of Modern Science
- The Emotional World of Animals
- Universal Consciousness: No Dead or Blind Matter Anywhere
- Spiritual and Astral Evolution: Darwin’s Black Box
- The evidence for intelligent design irreducible complexity
- Mini-interviews Lonny Marie García Hernández
- Good News about the European School of Theosophy – Edward Abdill, MEMORIES OF DORA
- Mini-interviews Professor Shinde
- A note from Joma Sipe in Portugal (September-October 2020)
- Mini-interviews Charles Angelo Boeira
- Mini-interviews José Leonardo Curihuinca Becerrac
- Good News from the Theosophical Order of Service
- The Bhagavadgitâ and Theosophy
- HAPPINESS but also CONTEMPLATION, demonstrated through CULTURAL DIVERSITY
- All you need is love….
- Notable Books 46
- THEOSOPHY FORWARD NEWSLETTER - SEPTEMBER 2020
- Brain waves can be used to predict future pain sensitivity
- The writings of H. P. Blavatsky
- Exploding stars may have caused mass extinction on Earth, study shows
- What are Words Worth?
- An Esoteric View of Pandemics
- Five Years from Now
- Mini-interviews Paurnamasi Pattnaik
- Listening to Adyar: A Vibrant Centre with Multiple Voices
- Mini-Interviews Pranab Misra
Sydney Morning Herald
There are often in the mentioned magazines above book-reviews.
Press outside the movement about Theosophy
Wall Street Journal
To be true, religion and philosophy must offer the solution of every problem. That the world is in such a bad condition morally is a conclusive evidence that none of its religions and philosophies--those of the civilized races less than any other--have ever possessed the TRUTH. The right and logical explanations on the subject of the problems of the great dual principles, right and wrong, good and evil, liberty and despotism, pain and pleasure, egotism and altruism, are as impossible to them now as they were 1880 years ago. They are as far from the solution as they ever were, but. . . . "To these there must be somewhere a consistent solution, and if our doctrines will show their competence to offer it, then the world will be the first one to confess, that ours must be the true philosophy, the true religion, the true light, which gives truth and nothing but the TRUTH. . . .
TS Adyar Australia
TS Adyar Europe
TS Adyar Australia
European School of Theosophy
Salon of Theosophy
The seven Jewels of Wisdom
Opening ITC 2020 by President of the ITC
The Hierarchies of Our Solar System and the Kingdoms of the Earth By Rudolf Steiner
Cosmic Order and Karma by Bing Escudero (Theosophical Society)
In Their Own Words:Wisdom From the Mahatmas - Edward Abdill
THE CHRISTMAS LETTER OF 1886 - Prof. Santucci
#THEOSOPHY Overcoming the Illusion of Separation - LIVE Circle Gathering
2020 07 26 PRACTICAL THEOSOPHY
#THEOSOPHY "Man - The Eternal Pilgrim" with Petra Meyer
Tim Boyd - Next Steps: The Ageless Wisdom in Shifting Times
THE EXOTERIC AND ESOTERIC INFLUENCE OF THEOSOPHY IN ART - Arni Nare'ndran .
It is for the latter [the personalities] to cling to it; and thus partaking of its [Monads] divine nature, obtain immortality.