Theosophy News Worldwide 2nd Quarter 2020
Dear friends of Theosophy,
between the first and second Covid19-Wave now burning cities in North-America and a worldwide anti-racist effort with more or less brutal riots. This society is not finding back to peace.
And the subject of racism will also catch up with Theosophy, if one does not react from the official side, in order to clearly distance oneself from some at least questionable statements, e.g. in Blavatsky's works, and to erase them from the doctrine, as we understand it today.
I am not talking about the racial doctrine itself etc., but about a few derailments or mistakes. Meanwhile in Germany one even tries to label Kant as racist and I also see, what happens to the followers of Rudolph Steiner, who justify themselves instead of cleaning up.
The outlook will not become more favourable, if we do not act united and resolutely, maybe a topic for the ITC, which has proven that it can provide results (which, by the way, is held online this year, see the upcoming events section on the right sidebar). But I am afraid nothing will happen.
The question to my readers within the last newsletter as part of the series "Top 10 misbeliefs of theosophical scholars" was: The Causeless Cause is NOT be be understand LITERALLY in Theosophy and it was answered 50:50 in a survey.
And this series takes a short break because I think it's important to point out an incident that was very disturbing, at least for me. Therefore, the title of the quarterly theme in this issue is: TS (Adyar in North-) America, can you help?
Beside this you can find here, as every quarter, much interesting material, free theosophical magazines, all the news from Theosophical Societies, articles from theosophical websites including a new launched magazine and a press-review from outside the Movement about Theosophy f.e. with a film-review about the theosophy-inspirtated artist Hilma af Klint.
And now I wish you an interesting reading and a peaceful summer. With kind regards from Germany
Editor of Theosophy World News
Topic of the quarter
TS (Adyar in North-) America, can you help?
In the middle of April I received an e-mail, more precisely an appeal for donations from the TS (Adyar North-)America. This is nothing unusual especially for the so called TSA, also on the website the call for donations is in the center of attention for a long time.
The manner was a bit inappropriate from my point of view and I personally consider it as a kind of begging. Here some quotes from this mail:
We ask that you please donate all that you can today. Can you offer $150? $500? $1,000 or more? [...] Please give the most generous donation you can today. (Source)
$ 1.000 during a global economic and social crisis, and wait, if you "furloughed two thirds of [our] dedicated, hard-working staff" (as also announced in the same newsletter) you save a lot of money, don't you?
Anyway, one more questionable turn of Adyar and so far nothing really bad I thought, however, but then, additional information reached me via the Theos-Talk Newslist (see below), that puts all this in a different light.
With $17million in the Theosophical Investment Trust (the money is under the control of American Section and can be used for any purpose) there was no justification to put employees on furlough. Furloughing the poor employee is easy. (Source)
Now that PPP money of estimated $325k has been received and most of it would be treated as a grant with no tax, it is but fair that Wheaton notify all those to whom earlier donation email was sent. (Source)
Years ago, when American Section was in a critical financial condition, Herbert Kern stepped in to help. He wanted financial help to work like a catalyst. But, due to the investments in Kern Trust grew, more and more money was flowing to American Section. The legal setup of the Trust required most of its income to distributed annually. If not, it has to pay income tax. Ultimately Trust ended up earning $1+ Million annually which was distributed mostly to American Section. (Source)
In addition to money in the bank, it is not hurting for income. Annually gets $1million+ from Kern and $50,000 from Cleveland lodge. (Source)
If this is true, surely, there is no shame in having 17 million in the bank, a security, why not. Then to get 1 million a year is a great fortune, and additional 50,000 a year from Clevland, that's what I call a good basis.
But why then such a call for donations up to $1,000 and more, with the tone of a command from an apparently dying society, because of the Covid19-Pandemic?
Would Blavatsky have come up with the idea of paying herself a six-figure salary from the TS fund? It would certainly be interesting to find out exactly what the actual output for the promotion of Theosophy is, what is done with all the money?
My boss also furloughed us partial and I wrote to him, that's unfair that the smaller people have to bear the losses and that if he had paid these losses, that wouldn't have made him much poorer, but the single mothers etc. etc. that didn't have it easy even before the crisis, should pay now with very much less money?
There was no answer. But I know it, that's capitalism, the survival and right of the stronger, the system we live in, for sure...... but would that be theosophical? That may not be his claim, but what about the THEOSOPHICAL Society (Adyar in North-)America?
What do you think?
TS Adyar Australia
European School of Theosophy
European Federation of the TS Adyar
News from Theosophical Societies
New at least for me was The Compass Newsletter of TS Pasadena, published 2 to 4 times a year, mostly recycles older content.
The Domain of ULT Greece (blavatsky.gr) is not reachable anymore, also those of TS Adyar Ireland (theosophy.ie), of TS Adyar New York (theosophy-ny.org), TS in Southern Africa (theosophy.org.za), Pan African Theosophical Federation (theosophy-inafrica.org) and Blavatsky Lodge Sydney (Adyar) (tssydney.org) (whereby some pages may have been offline for a longer time and not only since last quarter).
You can read some articles of the Quest magazine spring issue for free on the TS Adyar in (North)-America-Website.
TS Adyar Seattle has relaunched it's website.
TS Adyar (HQ) published all 2020 issues of The Theosophist for free here. There were many newsletters from this TS , f.e. the June issue with many interesting content, f.e. two free issues of the Adyar Newsletter, (New) a Panamerican Journal of Theosophy (in spanish and english, edited in the Region of Central America and the Caribbean of the Theosophical Society) or a video Discussing Theosophy with Tim Boyd & Dr. Kavita Beri from TS New Zealand.
TS Adyar New Zealand published a COVID-19-Update, an article with many videos of the TS NZ Convention 2020. And have also an eye on its YouTube Channel.
TS (Adyar) Australia published a video The TS Stream: Keynotes of International Presidents
A new FOTA-Newsletter, which is worth to read, was published, that you can read here as PDF.
And I recommend as a new release for the first time from the American Section of TS Pasadena The Spiral Path with a Spring and a Summer issue and for our German readers from the German Section of TS Pasadena the new Magazine Logos with its Second, Third and Fourth Issue for free.
There was also a wonderfull newsletter of the EuST with colorized pics of HPB, unfortunately not available online, but here as PDF. See also Barbara Heberts latest The President's Blog on TSA YouTube-Channel
Devachan is the idealized continuation of the terrestrial life just left behind, a period of retributive adjustment, and a reward for unmerited wrongs and sufferings undergone in that special life.
Articles from Theosophical sites
David Reigle Blog
- The Kālacakra College at Tashi-lhunpo
- Panchen Lama, Book of Dzyan, and Kālacakra
- Svabhāva as Prima Materia (v. 4)
- A Digital Index of The Secret Doctrine
Theos-talk has reincarnated at groups.io is now called Theosophy@groups.io You can join email@example.com (the successor group) and carry on discussions there. Anyone can join by sending a msg to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- CAN THEOSOPHY BE SPREAD BY SALARIED MEN AND WOMEN
- ARE WE SEEING SIGNS OF SHUT DOWN OF ADYAR???
- WHAT HAPPENED TO FORMER TSA ACCOUNTANT?
- Donation to American Section
- GREAT ONE-TIME OPPORTUNITY FOR AMERICAN SECTION, also here
- VOLUNTEERS THE GREAT FUTURE OF THEOSOPHY MOVEMENT
- American Section Saga - Update
- American Section Furloughing Employees with $17 million in bank
- ACCOUNTANTS DON'T SPREAD THEOSOPH
- Appeal from American Section
- APPEAL FROM AMERICAN SECTION – SOME COMMENTS
- MONEY DRIVEN FUTURE OF THEOSOPHICAL SOCIETY
- Accounting Expense of American Section
- Wheaton Renovation
- OLCOTT MEETING AN ADEPT AT PONDICHERRY
- MONITIZING THEOSOPHY?
- Corona Virus - Bring trouble to American Section ?
- Killing animals for food - a view
- Transparency of Financial Information
- FEEDBACK FROM A FORMER EMPLOYEE OF TSA
- NEWS ALERT – ADYAR BREAKIN –
- American Section has found a great benefactor and here
Montreal Theosophy Project
- Theosophy and Epidemics, Physical and Moral
- Blavatsky on Moral Epidemics
- William Q. Judge on Universal Brother/sisterhood and the Astral Plane
- Theosophy and the Trikaya 2 (Nirmanakaya, Sambhogakaya, Dharmakaya)
- Theosophy and Family Life
- Cosmic Mind: The Universe A Conscious Being
- The World’s Greatest Secret: What is Life?
- Karmagenetics: The Spirit in Matter
- A Drowning Man’s Vision of His Soul
- The Healing Memories of Past Lives
- The Reality of the Illusion of Reality
- The Extraordinary Life and Influence of H. P. Blavatsky
- There is No Such Thing as Empty Space
- One Universal Family: The World United as One Being
- Everything in The Universe is Conscious
- ini-interviews Gabriel Burgos
- The Paralysis of Movement: Liberating Mankind from the oppression of a Djinn
- Theosophy: Just Imagine…
- The Mahatmas as Ideals and Facts
- The Society: Editorial - Being free … (really)
- Theosophical Encyclopedia: H. N. Stokes and the O. E. Library Critic
- Theosophy: The Process of Self Enquiry: Slowing Down
- Theosophical Encyclopedia: Aura
- Theosophical Encyclopedia: The Objects of The Theosophical Society
- Notable Books 44
- Human Regeneration – part twenty-six (end)
- Even if you die, there’s always Reincarnation
- The Cycle of humanity-or where do we go from here?
- The Cyclic Motion
- Dreaming About The Moon
- The Beauty of Solitude
- In Memory of Gerald Clark
- The Way of the Heart
- Interview with Pam Evans of Peace Mala
- Swami Vivekananda and the Theosophical Society
- A Home called Grayshott
TS (Adyar) in Australia
publisher, June 2020 (pdf)
The TS (Pasadena) Australasian Section
publisher, July 2020 (pdf)
The Aquarian Theosophist
United Lodge of Theosophists (ULT)
Press outside the movement about Theosophy
It is for the latter [the personalities] to cling to it; and thus partaking of its [Monads] divine nature, obtain immortality.
And as such, the Personal Ego, becoming at one with its divine parent, shares in the immortality of the latter. Otherwise....